Millions of people across the world come to Pinterest to find new ideas every day. It’s where they get inspiration, dream about new possibilities and plan for what matters most. Our mission is to help those people find their inspiration and create a life they love. In your role, you’ll be challenged to take on work that upholds this mission and pushes Pinterest forward. You’ll grow as a person and leader in your field, all the while helping Pinners make their lives better in the positive corner of the internet.
Central to this mission of inspiration is building and growing a healthy and stable content ecosystem. This includes the two sides of Pinterest’s platform focused on Content and Distribution. On the content front, we tackle problems around content classification, safety, creative tools, and growing our most valuable resource, Creators. On the distribution front, we think through problems around ranking, recommendations, search and engagement. The Head of Core Product Analytics and Data Science will lead the teams that tackle these areas as well as those focused on continuing to grow and scale our app. This leader will partner with our Heads of Core Product, Engineering and Design to build, evolve and realize Pinterest’s exciting strategy for our future.
Connecting Pinterest users to the most relevant and useful content means deep understanding of our creators, users, and Pins. We are looking for a Head of Analytics and Data Science for our core product. This leader will partner directly with our Heads of Core Product for Engineering and Product to build, evolve and realize Pinterest’s strategy for growth, creators, engagement, content safety, and continuous improvement of our core product.
What you’ll do:
- Lead & Develop the Team: Lead, grow, and develop an organization of 20+ highly skilled data scientists and product analysts across multiple geos and managers through excellent hiring practices, coaching, team processes, and more.
- Drive Technical Excellence: Solve key technical challenges in understanding and improving the relevance of our pins, the growth and engagement of our user base, and the ingestion of high-quality content from a diverse set of creators.
- Be a Strategic Thought Partner: Act as a thought partner alongside our heads of core for engineering, product and design to develop and evolve our vision for Pinner and Creator growth, engagement, and quality through rigorous analysis, modeling, and opportunity sizing.
- Build a Portfolio of Work: Construct a portfolio of investments across the team that optimize on the short-term and long-term and span the risk vs. reward spectrum. The team will partner with Engineering, Product, Research and Design and will be responsible for building and maintaining a suite of metrics/measurement solutions, driving rigorous experimentation, identifying insights and opportunities to invest in, and building/analyzing models that improve value provided to pinners, advertisers, creators, and merchants.
- Drive Rigor and Velocity: Drive a team that yields high-quality and actionable results, while maintaining the right balance between velocity and rigor.
What we’re looking for:
- 12+ years of combined industry and post-graduate academic experience in a quantitative field and a proven ability to apply. scientific methods to solve real-world problems on web-scale data.
- 5+ years of leadership experience managing a team of 15+ data scientists and product analysts across multiple locations at a technology company. Experience in leading an organization with managers, ICs, and technical leads.
- 3+ years working on B2C technology products.
- 3+ years experience working closely with both engineering and product teams.
- 3+ years hands-on individual contributor experience in many of the following areas.
- Search Quality | Growth | Metric Design | A/B Experimentation Design and Evaluation | Human Evaluation | Machine Learning | Ranking and Recommendation Systems | Causal Modeling | Big Data Processing | Spam and Bots | Marketplace dynamics
- Hands-on knowledge of SQL and Python or R.
Who you are:
- Have a Growth Mindset: A self-propelled, intellectually curious continuous learner who keeps up with new tools, methodologies, and the industry and is unafraid to take on new challenges.
- Advocate for Product Quality: