Millions of people across the world come to Pinterest to find new ideas every day. It’s where they get inspiration, dream about new possibilities and plan for what matters most. Our mission is to help those people find their inspiration and create a life they love. In your role, you’ll be challenged to take on work that upholds this mission and pushes Pinterest forward. You’ll grow as a person and leader in your field, all the while helping Pinners make their lives better in the positive corner of the internet.
Creating a life you love also means finding a career that celebrates the unique perspectives and experiences that you bring. As you read through the expectations of the position, consider how your skills and experiences may complement the responsibilities of the role. We encourage you to think through your relevant and transferable skills from prior experiences.
Our new progressive work model is called PinFlex, a term that’s uniquely Pinterest to describe our flexible approach to living and working. Visit our PinFlex landing page to learn more.
We’re looking for a public policy leader to join our Public Policy and Advocacy team. We are focused on building the expertise and relationships necessary to advise and advocate on behalf of the company. You will focus on educating key audiences about Pinterest and learning from technology policy experts to inform the decisions we make as a company. You will be based in Sydney and oversee our public policy work in the APAC region.
The ideal candidate will have experience with a wide range of technology public policy issues. They enjoy diving into the substance of an issue and building the relationships necessary to make sure Pinterest is being thoughtful about those issues. They will thrive in an environment where they can roll up their sleeves and do the necessary work themselves, and where they can find creative ways to work within the limited resources of a growing company.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee our public policy work in APAC.
- Build relationships with policymakers, issue experts, technology advocacy groups, trade associations and industry partners to support policies on key issues that help Pinterest achieve its mission and support our users.
- Advise your colleagues on the public policy team, as well as senior management and cross-functional leaders about relevant policy issues that could have an impact on the company.
- Proactively engage with experts on a range of issues that matter to Pinterest. Ensure our team is being thoughtful about how we handle various challenges that could impact Pinners. Clearly communicate our approach to external audiences.
- Partner with cross-functional colleagues to help Pinterest employees engage with the communities where they live and work, especially in cities where we have a growing presence (e.g. Sydney, Tokyo).
What we’re looking for:
- 8+ years of relevant work experience spanning government, community affairs, civil society or in the private sector (as part of public policy, legal and regulatory affairs function).
- Excellent communication skills. You are a strong public speaker and can explain complex issues to a broad range of audiences.
- Knowledge of the political landscape and expertise in the legislative processes of many countries across the APAC region. Solid understanding of regulatory issues that affect businesses in our industry.
- Strong judgment and impeccable integrity. Track record of developing and executing pragmatic, creative solutions to novel public policy challenges on your own.
- Proven experience executing public policy or advocacy campaigns with limited oversight or support when given high-level objectives.
- Capacity for building lasting relationships with public policy, legal, corporate affairs, communications, and product colleagues within Pinterest, and with external constituents with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. Builds credibility with colleagues and external partners.
- Comfortable working independently, and can successfully develop and maintain relationships across the company, while working remotely from Sydney. You thrive in an environment with changing needs, ambiguity, and variability across work and issues week to week.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance. Visit our PinFlex page to learn more about our working model.
Our Commitment to Diversity:
Pinterest is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best qualified people in every job. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic under federal, state, or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require an accommodation during the job application process, please notify email@example.com for support.